Sunday, August 5, 2018

RPG a Day 2018


So I’m a bit late to the party, but through one of my favorite YouTube channels, Casting Shadows I’ve discovered RPGaDay. This is a community of people and answering questions about their expirences with tabletop roleplaying, for those that don’t know what that means, think Dungeons and Dragons and games like it. I’ve dabbled in this in the past, but over the last few months I’ve really dove headfirst into it, and play once a week, with three rotating games, one with me as a GM, the other two as a player. So without much futher adu I’ll get to answering some of these questions, and since I missed the first few days I’ll start by doing the prompt for both days for this weekend (4 and 5) to kick things off!

Day 4:
What was your most memorable NPC?

For this one I’ll pick an NPC I encountered as a player. This comes from my first campaign, a Final Flight Star Wars game where I play a young man from Naboo who discovers he is force sensitive and goes into hiding, ending up trapped on a mysterious planet. On the planet he met a variety of interesting characters including; the other PCs, pirates, and imperials. These imperials, for the most part weren’t harden Stormtroopers, but security officers on a trade ship, including one officer Lilo.

Lilo started off as a random NPC, introduced alongside a character named Stitch, but he quickly developed into a character caught between his duty and his mortality. He became a complex character and a great ally for the group, but particularly for my PC. He overcame his conflict to overthrow the imperial bosses who were torturing and sacrificing civilians.

After a long drawn out campaign where we finally escaped that terrible planet, and the player characters left divided and on a bitter note (in the game, in real life it was a blast) we all had solo adventures, getting his family off Courasont.

While it has been a while since I’ve seen Lilo we are nearing the end of our second arc and calls have gone out to many old NPC friends, including one I made to Lilo. With any luck he will be rejoining me and my allies to find a lost treasure on a dangerous planet!

Day 5
What is your favorite NPC?

With the questions for this weekend being similar I decided to do the second one from a GM’s perspective, and I want to talk about a character I made that quickly became beloved by my players.

Running a one shot heist the players were betrayed by a sketchy group of ruffians who tried to murder them and take their gold after selling the group some goods. When only one of the ruffians remained he threw up his hands begging for mercy, and I quickly chose a stereotypical 40s mobster voice for him.

He told the party his name, Islos, and they spared his life, in exchange for him working for them, and helping them complete their heist. A bond quickly formed between the players and the lovable scamp, who helped them get out of a few jams. By the end of the session he was essentially a member of the party.

I gave him a full character sheet for the next time we played, when the one shot was a quest to rescue him. The third session however would prove dire for Islos. The players were facing a mysterious wall with a mysterious stone obelisk in the middle deep underground. The only clue of how to move forward was etched on the stone in a long forgotten language. When the evil warlock of the group used iden tify he realized they needed a sacrifice to move forward, and he murdered Islos, which shocked and mortified the group. The other players won’t let him live it down to this day.

Eventually Islos’ body was placed in a tomb alongside the dwarven kings of millennia past, a fitting place for such a noble soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment